People travelling to the UK without a visa will soon need to get an ETA.

An Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) is a new requirement for people who do not need a visa to come to the UK. It gives you permission to travel to the UK, and it is electronically linked to your passport.

You’ll be allowed to:

  • come to the UK for up to 6 months for tourism, visiting family and friends, business or study
  • come to the UK for up to 3 months on the Creative Worker visa concession
  • transit through the UK

You can check if you need a visa.

This page will be updated with more details.

Who will need an ETA

From 15 November 2023, you’ll need an ETA if you’re travelling to the UK and you’re a national of Qatar.

From 22 February 2024, you’ll need an ETA if you’re travelling to the UK and you’re a national of:

  • Bahrain
  • Jordan
  • Kuwait
  • Oman
  • Saudi Arabia
  • United Arab Emirates

More countries will be added to the scheme later.

Who will not need an ETA

You will not need an ETA if you have either:

  • a British or Irish passport
  • permission to live, work or study in the UK
  • a visa to enter the UK

If you’re legally resident in Ireland, and you do not need a visa to visit the UK, you will not need an ETA if you’re entering the UK from either:

  • Ireland
  • Guernsey
  • Jersey
  • Isle of Man

How to apply

You’ll need to apply on the UK ETA app, or online on GOV.UK.

You’ll usually get a decision within 3 working days, but you may get a quicker decision.

It may take longer than 3 working days if we need to make further checks.

How much it costs

We will confirm the exact cost of an ETA shortly.

Each traveller must apply for their own ETA, including children.

How you’ll get your ETA

You’ll get an email confirmation if your application is approved.

We’ll link your ETA electronically to the passport you applied with. You must use the same passport to travel.

After you get your ETA

Your ETA will last for 2 years.

You can use it to make multiple visits to the UK. You still need to either use an ePassport gate if you are eligible to use one or see a Border Force officer to enter the UK.

If you get a new passport in less than 2 years, you’ll need to get a new ETA.

An ETA does not guarantee entry to the UK.

If you’re refused an ETA

You need to apply for either a:

Similar Posts