UK Health and care worker visa 2024 Guide

The UK Health and Care Worker visa allows medical professionals to come and work in the UK with the NHS, an NHS supplier or in adult social care. Discover the essential details about the UK Health and Care Worker Visa. Get insights into the application process, eligibility criteria, and FAQs in this comprehensive guide.

UK Health And Care Worker Visa (Documents & Requirements)

Our experienced work visa lawyers can help you to apply for a Health and Care Worker visa (formerly a Tier 2 Health and Care visa) if you’re a medical professional who’s been offered a job with the NHS. In this guide we will look at the key elements for a health care worker visa including eligibility, documents and cost.

What is the health and care worker visa?

The Health and Care visa allows overseas workers with specialist skills to come to the UK to work for licensed employers in eligible roles.

If you require Immigration Advice Services or help with an immigration problem, please contact +441614644140 or email us at for fast, professional, and affordable immigration advice from our highly experienced UK immigration lawyers. You can book an appointment online for a detailed immigration consultation.

Deluxe Law Chambers solely specialises in UK visas & immigration and therefore we provide high-quality UK visa and immigration services to our clients. The quality service provided by our UK immigration lawyers is self-evident from our 5-star Google Reviews.

Who is eligible for health care visa?

To qualify for a Health and Care Worker visa, you must:

  • be a qualified doctor, nurse, health professional or adult social care professional
  • work in an eligible health or social care job
  • work for a UK employer that’s been approved by the Home Office
  • have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your employer with information about the role you’ve been offered in the UK
  • be paid a minimum salary – how much depends on the type of work you do

You need to have a four digit occupation code before you can decide if you are eligible for the health care worker visa or not.

Eligible job roles for health care worker visa

SOC Occupation code for health and care worker visasEligible job roles
1181Health services and public health managers and directors
1242Residential, day and domiciliary care managers and proprietors
2112Biological scientists and biochemists
2113Physical scientists
2211Medical practitioners
2214Ophthalmic opticians
2215Dental practitioners
2217Medical radiographers
2219Health professionals not elsewhere classified eg audiologists and occupational health advisers
2222Occupational therapists
2223Speech and language therapists
2229Therapy professionals not elsewhere classified eg osteopaths and psychotherapists
2442Social workers
3111Laboratory technicians
3216Dispensing opticians
3217Pharmaceutical technicians
3218Medical and dental technicians
3219Health associate professionals not elsewhere classified
6141Nursing auxiliaries and assistants
6143Dental nurses
6145Care workers & home carers
6146Senior care workers

Requirements for a Health and Care Worker Visa

In order to successfully qualify for a Health and Care Worker Visa, you will need to mee the following requirements:

  • You hold a valid licence as a physician, nurse, health care provider, or adult social care worker;
  • You hold or will hold a position that qualifies under the approved occupation codes list in the health or social care sector;
  • You are employed by or will work for a UK employer in the health and care sector that has received the Home Office’s approval;
  • You have been issued and assigned with a valid ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your employer;
  • You mee the English language requirement to at least CEFR Level B1 (equivalent to IELTS 4.0);
  • You will be paid the minimum salary OR the ‘going rate’, whichever is higher;
  • You have enough money to support yourself without relying on public funds OR your employer ticked the box in CoS to certify your maintenance;
  • You must provide a criminal record certificate, if working with vulnerable people; and
  • You need to have a valid TB certificate (if applicable).

We recommend that you must book an appointment with an immigration lawyer to discuss the exact requirements and list of documents required for you health care visa application.

Documents required for health care worker visa

When you apply you’ll need to provide:

  • your certificate of sponsorship reference number – your employer will give you this
  • proof of your knowledge of English
  • a valid passport or other document that shows your identity and nationality
  • your job title and annual salary
  • your job’s occupation code
  • the name of your employer and their sponsor licence number – this will be on your certificate of sponsorship

Ask your employer for a copy of your certificate of sponsorship if you do not have one.

Health and care worker visa minimum salary 

As part of your eligibility criteria for health and care worker visa, you must meet minimum salary requirements. This means that you must be paid at least the minimum salary or the going rate for the position offered, whichever is higher.

Typically, the health and care worker visa requires you to earn at least £26,200 a year, or £10.75 an hour. If your job’s current rate is higher than both, you should at least receive the going rate. For example, if your annual salary is £25,000, but the going rate for the job code is £26,800, you do not meet the salary requirement.

How much it costs

When you apply for a Health and Care Worker visa, you’ll need to have enough money to:

  • pay the application fee
  • support yourself when you arrive in the UK – you’ll usually need to have at least £1,270 available (unless you’re exempt)

You’ll be told how much you need to pay when you apply.

Application fees

The standard application fee depends on whether you’ll be in the UK for:

  • up to 3 years – £247 per person
  • more than 3 years – £479 per person

The fee is the same whether you apply from inside or outside the UK.

How long it takes to get a decision

Once you’ve applied online, proved your identity and provided your documents, you’ll usually get a decision within 3 weeks.

You’ll be contacted if your application will take longer, for example because:

  • your supporting documents need to be verified
  • you need to attend an interview
  • of your personal circumstances, for example if you have a criminal conviction

Money to support yourself

You must have at least £1,270 in your bank account to show you can support yourself in the UK.

You will need to have had the money available for at least 28 days in a row. Day 28 must be within 31 days of applying for this visa.

Switch to health and care worker visa

You might be able to apply to change (‘switch’) to a Health and Care Worker visa if you’re already in the UK on a different type of visa.

If you switch to health and care worker visa, your partner or child’s visa will not automatically switch to this visa. If they do not switch their visa, it will be valid until its original end date. They can either apply at the same time as you, or at any time before their current visa expires.

How long you can stay

You can stay in the UK for as long as your employer is sponsoring you for, up to 5 years at a time. Your certificate of sponsorship will say how long your employer is sponsoring you for.

Why choose Deluxe Law Chambers for your health care worker visa?

Choosing the right and best immigration lawyer for your immigration needs can be stressful. While it could seem like a difficult choice, let us simplify things for you. Here are a few good reasons why you should choose Deluxe Law Chambers to assist you with your UK visas and immigration matters.

Our commitment to affordability means that you can receive expert advice without straining your finances. Our success hinges on transparency. We believe in keeping you informed about every step of the process, ensuring that you understand your options and the potential outcomes.

  • REGULATED – We are regulated and approved immigration lawyers by The Office Of The Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC).
  • EXPERIENCE – Our firm rests on specialist immigration lawyers and solicitors with years of experience. Our well-earned experience distinguishes us from others.
  • EXPERTISE – As your immigration lawyer, we offer unparalleled expertise. We don’t just understand and interpret the law, we keep an eye on the slightest changes.
  • AUTHORITY – Our authority isn’t just about legal powers but is gained through genuine care and successful outcomes for our clientele. So, why choose just a lawyer when you can choose a trusted authority?
  • TRUST – Our commitment to uphold your trust is unwavering. Our transparency and ethical conduct are treatments for the trust placed in us by our clients.
  • DIRECT ACCESS – At Deluxe Law Chambers as your immigration lawyers, you will have direct access to your qualified lawyer 24/7.
  • AFFORDABLE – We are a law firm with an affordable and fixed fee plan. We offer two installments to ensure you can pay easily.

A combination of our rich experience, deep-rooted expertise, trust authority, and unwavering commitment to our clients makes us your best choice.

So, why wait? Take your first step towards a successful immigration application with us.