How to apply for a UK spouse visa? Detailed guidance
This article will explain how to apply for a UK spouse visa successfully. Spouses and partners of British citizens or people settled in the UK can apply for a UK spouse visa to join or remain with their partners in the UK. These applications are dealt with by the Home Office under the immigration rules of Appendix FM.
The immigration rules of Appendix FM are not very clear and straightforward to understand. Therefore, through this post, we aim to bring some clarity to the requirements, and cost of a UK spouse visa application.
How to make a spouse visa application?
It is very important to use the correct application form and its most recently published version to avoid spouse visa refusal.
Apply online (form FLR (M)) – uK spouse visa application form
If you are applying for a spouse visa inside the UK, then you need to complete the FLR M application form and submit your fingerprints inside the UK.
Appendix FM Partner Visa Form
If you are applying for a spouse visa from outside the UK, you will need to complete the Appendix FM partner visa application form and submit your fingerprints in your country of residence.
Who can apply for a spouse visa UK?
As a foreign national, you can apply for a UK partner and spouse visa as long as your partner is based in the UK:
- Is a British or Irish citizen (either by birth or naturalisation)
- Has settled in the UK and has Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), permanent residence, or EU Settled Status
- Has refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK
- Has a Turkish Businessperson visa or Turkish Worker visa
Minimum Age for a Spouse Visa
You and your partner must both be over the age of 18 on the date when you submit your Spouse Visa application.
uK spouse visa fee
The fee to apply for a UK spouse visa from outside the UK is £1,846 and £1,048 from inside the UK.
UK Spouse Visa Requirements
In order to qualify for a UK Spouse Visa, you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that you meet the following requirements:
- Your partner is British or Irish, is settled in the UK, has been granted pre-settled status, holds a Turkish Businessperson or Turkish Worker visa or has refugee status or humanitarian protection;
- You and your partner are both over the age of 18;
- You and your partner are not within a prohibited degree of relationship;
- You and your partner have met in person;
- You and your partner are legally married in a marriage that is recognised in the UK;
- Your relationship is genuine and subsisting;
- You and your partner intend to live together permanently in the UK;
- Any previous relationship has broken down permanently;
- You satisfy a financial requirement;
- There is adequate accommodation for you and any dependents;
- You speak and understand English to a required level.
Who can be a sponsor for a UK spouse visa?
In order to qualify for a UK Spouse Visa, your partner must either:
- Be a British or Irish citizen in the UK; or
- Have indefinite leave to remain, settled status, or permanent residence in the UK; or
- Have pre-settled status under Appendix EU; or
- Have limited leave to remain as a Turkish Businessperson or Turkish Worker under Appendix ECAA; or
- Have refugee leave or humanitarian protection status in the UK;
The requirement to Have Met in Person for a UK spouse visa
You and your spouse must have met in person before you apply for a UK spouse visa online. The requirement to have ‘met’ means that you must be able to demonstrate a face-to-face meeting which resulted in the making of a mutual acquaintance.
Genuine and Subsisting Relationship Requirement
In order to qualify for a UK Spouse Visa you will need to provide the Home Office with evidence that your relationship with your partner is a genuine and subsisting relationship.
The outcome of a spouse visa application
A successful application under Appendix FM will generally result in a grant of leave to enter for 33 months from outside the UK or leave to remain for 30 months from inside the UK.
Need help with Spouse Visa Application?
Choosing the right and best immigration lawyer for your immigration needs can be stressful. While it could seem like a difficult choice, let us simplify things for you. Here are a few good reasons why you should choose Deluxe Law Chambers to assist you with your UK visas and immigration matters.
Our commitment to affordability means that you can receive expert advice without straining your finances. Our success hinges on transparency. We believe in keeping you informed about every step of the process, ensuring that you understand your options and the potential outcomes.
- REGULATED – We are regulated and approved immigration lawyers by The Office Of The Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC).
- EXPERIENCE – Our firm rests on specialist immigration lawyers and solicitors with years of experience. Our well-earned experience distinguishes us from others.
- EXPERTISE – As your immigration lawyer, we offer unparalleled expertise. We don’t just understand and interpret the law, we keep an eye on the slightest changes.
- AUTHORITY – Our authority isn’t just about legal powers but is gained through genuine care and successful outcomes for our clientele. So, why choose just a lawyer when you can choose a trusted authority?
- TRUST – Our commitment to uphold your trust is unwavering. Our transparency and ethical conduct are treatments for the trust placed in us by our clients.
- DIRECT ACCESS – At Deluxe Law Chambers as your immigration lawyers, you will have direct access to your qualified lawyer 24/7.
- AFFORDABLE – We are a law firm with an affordable and fixed fee plan. We offer two installments to ensure you can pay easily.
A combination of our rich experience, deep-rooted expertise, trust authority, and unwavering commitment to our clients makes us your best choice.
So, why wait? Take your first step towards a successful immigration application with us.