Self-Sponsorship Skilled Worker Visa Guidance 2024

The self-sponsorship Skilled Worker visa involves being sponsored by your own UK company to apply for a self-sponsored UK Skilled Worker visa.

As leading self-sponsorship skilled worker visa lawyers, we are experts in dealing with self-sponsorship skilled worker visas. It is important to note that self-sponsorship in the UK is not a specific type of visa, but rather a way for business owners to stay/live in the UK to run their active trading business.

Can I Self Sponsor Myself To Work In The UK?

Yes, it is possible to start a business and then have your own business to sponsor you to work for your business. If you intend to start a business or work in the UK without a sponsor, you must go through the self-sponsorship route to enter the country.

Who is suitable for the Self-Sponsorship route?  

  1. You have an active company in the UK; or
  2. You purchased a business in the UK, and you have sufficient resources (skills and finances) to support your business in the UK; or
  3. You are planning to set up a business in the UK and have the financial ability to do so.

What are the steps to apply for a self sponsorship route?

In summary, the procedure is to set up a business and apply for a sponsor license for your business and then sponsor yourself as a skilled worker.

Step 1: Establish a business in the UK

To know how to start a business in the UK, please read the UK government website here.

Step 2: Apply for a Sponsor License

There are certain documents required for a sponsor license application, you’ll need a minimum 4 of the following:

  1. Minimum 1-month business bank statement
  2. Copy of lease OR freehold OR tenancy agreement
  3. Employer liability insurance certificate (minimum employee cover £5 million)
  4. PAYEE OR Account Office reference letter from HMRC
  5. Copy of regulatory approval, i.e., Health & Safety star rating for food business, ACCA, SRA
  6. VAT Certificate (if registered)
  7. SIGNED Annual accounts (if the business is over 18 months old)

Step 3: Appointing an Authorising Officer

You must appoint an Authorising Officer (AO) during the application stage. The person needs to be your employee whom the Home Office will contact in regard to the application. Any suitable employee for this role, such as managers/directors, or employee with good communication skills who has knowledge of this application.

It is better to appoint someone who is a British citizen or someone who has a Indefinate Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK to act as your Authorizing Officer.

Skilled Worker Visa Requirements for UK Self-Sponsorship

All of the eligibility requirements for the Skilled Worker visa are set out in detail at our Skilled Worker visa page. When applying for a Skilled Worker visa through self-sponsorship, you will need to demonstrate that you:

  • Have an eligible job (only certain roles can be sponsored for a Skilled Worker visa)1
  • Receive a salary of at least £26,200 per year, £10.75 per hour, or the ‘going rate’ for your type of work, and
  • Can read, write, speak and understand English to CEFR level B1 or above
  1. Read our skilled worker sponsor licence success stories