A sham marriage, or marriage of convenience, or a sham civil partnership describes a marriage or civil partnership entered into for immigration advantage by two people who are not a genuine couple.
In the UK, sham marriage is a form of immigration fraud undertaken to gain legal immigrant status. The fraud is investigated mostly by the Home Office.
Is sham marriage illegal in the UK?
Facilitation is an either-way offence which means this offence can be tried summarily in the magistrates’ court or on indictment in the Crown court and the maximum sentence on indictment is 14 years’ imprisonment. It is also a ‘lifestyle offence’ under schedule 2 of the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002.
What counts as a sham marriage?
A sham marriage is one where two people have entered into the marriage and are not in a genuine relationship but have married for financial or other gain.
A sham marriage or fake marriage is a marriage of convenience entered into without intending to create a real marital relationship. This is usually for the purpose of gaining an advantage from the marriage.
What To Do If You’re Looking To Get Married In The UK?
If you’re looking to get married in the UK, you don’t have to worry if your relationship is genuine and subsisting. If you want to marry a British citizen or a person with settled status, you need to be aware that your relationship will be investigated. You must have the evidence and documentation to prove that your relationship with your UK spouse is genuine and not fake.
Is entering into a sham marriage a criminal offence?
If you enter into a sham marriage, you are committing a criminal offence. A sham marriage is a marriage contracted to obtain a residence permit for a foreign national. Sham marriages enable people who are not eligible for a residence permit to reside in the UK. This is why the authorities investigate possible sham marriages. The same checks apply when you enter into a registered partnership.
How can Deluxe Law Chambers Help If You Want To Get Married In The UK?
Our immigration experts can help you to move to the UK and can be there to help when you need immigration support in your corner. We have helped lots of couples in the past to prove the credibility of their relationship and we can certainly assist you.
We have a strict policy against providing immigration services to those are planning a sham marriage.
Why choose Deluxe Law Chambers?
Choosing the right and best immigration lawyer for your immigration needs can be stressful. While it could seem like a difficult choice, let us simplify things for you. Here are a few good reasons why you should choose Deluxe Law Chambers to assist you with your UK visas and immigration matters.
Our commitment to affordability means that you can receive expert advice without straining your finances. Our success hinges on transparency. We believe in keeping you informed about every step of the process, ensuring that you understand your options and the potential outcomes.
- REGULATED – We are regulated and approved immigration lawyers by The Office Of The Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC).
- EXPERIENCE – Our firm rests on specialist immigration lawyers and solicitors with years of experience. Our well-earned experience distinguishes us from others.
- EXPERTISE – As your immigration lawyer, we offer unparalleled expertise. We don’t just understand and interpret the law, we keep an eye on the slightest changes.
- AUTHORITY – Our authority isn’t just about legal powers but is gained through genuine care and successful outcomes for our clientele. So, why choose just a lawyer when you can choose a trusted authority?
- TRUST – Our commitment to uphold your trust is unwavering. Our transparency and ethical conduct are treatments for the trust placed in us by our clients.
- DIRECT ACCESS – At Deluxe Law Chambers as your immigration lawyers, you will have direct access to your qualified lawyer 24/7.
- AFFORDABLE – We are a law firm with an affordable and fixed fee plan. We offer two installments to ensure you can pay easily.
A combination of our rich experience, deep-rooted expertise, trust authority, and unwavering commitment to our clients makes us your best choice.
So, why wait? Take your first step towards a successful immigration application with us.