Skilled Worker Dependant Visa (Documents & Requirements)

The UK skilled worker dependant visa allows skilled migrant workers to bring their partners and children to live in the UK.

There are various requirements that you must meet to bring your dependants to the UK. In this Skilled Worker Dependent Visa application guide we explore the most frequently asked questions on how a Skilled Worker can bring their dependents to the UK.

Deluxe Law Chambers solely specialises in UK visas & immigration and therefore we provide high-quality UK visa and immigration services to our clients. The quality service provided by our UK immigration lawyers is self-evident from our 5-star Google Reviews.

Who is dependant of a skilled worker?

You must be the partner or child of the migrant worker, who is applying at the same time as your or has already been granted the skilled worker vias UK.

  • Dependant partners – Partners applying for a skilled worker dependant visa must be over the age of 18 at the date of application.
  • Dependant children – Children applying for a skilled dependant worker visa must be under the age of 18 at the date of their first application. If they are over 16, they must not be leading an independent life.

If you require Immigration Advice Services or help with an immigration problem, please contact +441614644140 or email us at for fast, professional, and affordable immigration advice from our highly experienced UK immigration lawyers. You can book an appointment online for a detailed immigration consultation.

Dependant partner of a skilled worker

Partners must be over the age of 18 at the time of application to join their partner holding a skilled worker visa.

You must be able to prove that either:

  • you’re in a civil partnership or marriage that’s recognised in the UK
  • you’ve been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply

Dependant child of a skilled worker

When applying as a dependant child of a skilled worker, the child must be under the age of 18 at the date of the first application. If the child is over 16, the child must not be leading an independent life. If the child becomes over the age of 18 at the time of extension application, this will not have an adverse affect on the application and the child will be eligible for the extension.

According to the immigration rules of appendix skilled worker, the child’s other parent must be applying at the same time or already have permission to remain in the UK as a skilled worker dependant. You may be able to seek exemption if:

  • The Skilled Worker is the only surviving parent; or
  • The other parent is a British citizen or has Indefinite Leave to Remain and is resident in the UK;
  • The Skilled Worker has sole responsibility for the child; or
  • There are serious and compelling reasons in favour of granting the child permission.

Sole responsibility is a very high threshold to meet. You can arrange an appointment with our immigration lawyers to discuss your application of a skilled worker dependant visa.

Funds required for a skilled worker dependant visa

Your partner and children must have a certain amount of money available to support themselves while they’re in the UK.

You – or your partner or child – will need:

  • £285 for your partner
  • £315 for one child
  • £200 for each additional child

You – or your partner or child – will need to have had the money available for at least 28 days in a row. Day 28 must be within 31 days of you or them applying for this visa.

If the Skilled Worker is applying at the same time as the dependent applicant(s), this amount is in addition to the £1,270 maintenance funds they must demonstrate to show they can support themselves.

Criminal records check for dependants of skilled workers

If the Skilled Worker is sponsored for a job listed in paragraph SW 16.1 of Appendix Skilled Worker, the dependent partner must provide a criminal record check from any country they have been present in since the age of 18 for 12 months or more (whether continuously or in total) in the 10 years before the application.

How to apply for a Skilled Worker dependant visa UK?

You can apply for a skilled worker dependant visa UK from inside and outside the UK. Our experienced immigration lawyers can assist you with the skilled worker-dependant partner and dependant child visa applications.

Apply from outside the UK

If applying for a Skilled Worker dependent visa from outside the UK, you will need to:

  • Complete an online application form separately for your partner and child
  • Submit the copy of the certificate of sponsorship or CoS number
  • Pay any application fees and immigration health surcharge
  • Book a biometric appointment at a local visa application centre in the country applying from
  • Upload all the supporting documents through VFS or TLS portal
  • Attend the biometric appointment to submit your passport, biometrics and a photograph
  • Wait for a decision

Apply from inside the UK

If applying for a Skilled Worker dependent visa from inside the UK, you will need to:

  • Prepare an online application form for the main applicant and then add the dependants in the same application form
  • Pay the immigration health surcharge and Home Office application fee
  • Book an appointment at the UKVCAS centre
  • Upload all the documents
  • Attend the biometric appointment
  • Wait for a decision

What a skilled worker dependant partner and child can do and cannot do?

Your partner or child can:

  • work, except as a sportsperson or coach
  • study
  • travel abroad and return to the UK
  • apply to settle permanently in the UK (also known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’) if they’ve lived in the UK for 5 years and meet the other eligibility requirements

They cannot apply for most benefits (public funds), or the State Pension.

If their application is successful, they’ll get a full list of what they can and cannot do.

How long does it take to process a Skilled Worker dependant visa?

Applications made outside the UK are normally processed within 3 weeks, while those made in the UK may take up to 8 weeks.

If time is of the essence, you may be able to use the priority service for an additional fee of £500 for a decision within 5 working days, or the super-priority service for an additional fee of £1000 for a decision within 1 working day.

No Matter Where you live, we can help You

No matter where you live, we can deal with your immigration case remotely from our Manchester office. Call us on +441614644140 for immediate help with your immigration application or request a call back. Our highly skilled & experienced immigration lawyers in Manchester specialise in UK Immigration, including work visas, family visas, dependent visas, visitor visas, ILR applications, British citizenship, sponsor licence applications, and much more.

Where Are Our Immigration Lawyers Based In the UK?

Our immigration lawyers and advisers are based in Greater Manchester. Our office is located very close to South Levenshulme Post Office. You can visit our contact page to find our address and directions. We are located very close to Levenshulme Station (0.5 miles).

why choose Deluxe Law Chambers for your Dependant Visa UK?

Choosing the right and best immigration lawyer for your immigration needs can be stressful. While it could seem like a difficult choice, let us simplify things for you. Here are a few good reasons why you should choose Deluxe Law Chambers to assist you with your UK visas and immigration matters.

Our commitment to affordability means that you can receive expert advice without straining your finances. Our success hinges on transparency. We believe in keeping you informed about every step of the process, ensuring that you understand your options and the potential outcomes.

  • REGULATED – We are regulated and approved immigration lawyers by The Office Of The Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC).
  • EXPERIENCE – Our firm rests on specialist immigration lawyers and solicitors with years of experience. Our well-earned experience distinguishes us from others.
  • EXPERTISE – As your immigration lawyer, we offer unparalleled expertise. We don’t just understand and interpret the law, we keep an eye on the slightest changes.
  • AUTHORITY – Our authority isn’t just about legal powers but is gained through genuine care and successful outcomes for our clientele. So, why choose just a lawyer when you can choose a trusted authority?
  • TRUST – Our commitment to uphold your trust is unwavering. Our transparency and ethical conduct are treatments for the trust placed in us by our clients.
  • DIRECT ACCESS – At Deluxe Law Chambers as your immigration lawyers, you will have direct access to your qualified lawyer 24/7.
  • AFFORDABLE – We are a law firm with an affordable and fixed fee plan. We offer two installments to ensure you can pay easily.

A combination of our rich experience, deep-rooted expertise, trust authority, and unwavering commitment to our clients makes us your best choice.

So, why wait? Take your first step towards a successful immigration application with us.

Frequently asked questions

What is a skilled worker dependant visa?

A skilled worker dependant visa allows spouses and children of skilled workers to live and work in the same country as the skilled worker.

How long can you stay in the UK under the Private Life Visa route?

Spouses and children under a certain age are eligible for a skilled worker dependant visa.

Can dependants of a skilled worker work under this visa?

Dependants of a skilled worker can usually work and study under the skilled worker dependant visa.

Can a skilled worker bring more than one dependant?

Yes, a skilled worker can usually bring multiple dependants under the skilled worker dependant visa.