Spouse Visa Extension After 2.5 Years
Are you currently on a Spouse Visa in the United Kingdom and approaching the end of your initial 2.5-year period? If so, you may be wondering about the process to extend a spouse visa after 2.5 years. In this detailed guide, we will walk you through all the essential information you need to know about the Spouse Visa extension after 2.5 years.
What is a spouse visa extension?
A Spouse Visa extension allows you to continue living in the UK with your British or settled spouse after the initial 2.5-year period. It is essential for maintaining your legal status in the UK.
Why is the Spouse Visa Extension Important?
Extending your Spouse Visa ensures that you can continue to live, work, and study in the UK without any interruptions. It’s crucial for keeping your family together and enjoying the benefits of life in the UK.
If you want to stay in the UK after your initial 2.5 years of spouse visa, you need to extend it for a further 2.5. years. After spending a total of 5 years as a spouse you can apply for indefinite leave to remain.
Eligibility Criteria for the Spouse Visa Extension after 2.5 years
To be eligible for a Spouse Visa extension, you must meet certain requirements:
- You must still be in a genuine and subsisting relationship with your spouse.
- You must have sufficient accommodation for you and your dependents.
- You must meet the financial requirement, which involves demonstrating a specific level of income or savings.
- You must not have any criminal convictions that could affect your eligibility.
- You passed the English language test A2
In short, you must continue to meet all the requirements under Appendix FM to renew your spouse visa after 2.5 years.
The Application Process
This guide will walk you through the spouse visa extension process after an initial 2.5 years.
When Should You Apply for the Extension?
It’s essential to start the application process well before your current Spouse Visa expires. Ideally, you should apply about 28 days before the expiration date.
You will need to gather various documents to support your application, including:
- Proof of your relationship with your spouse.
- Evidence of meeting the financial requirement.
- Accommodation details.
- Passport and biometric residence permit.
The financial requirement is a crucial aspect of the Spouse Visa extension. You must demonstrate a specific level of income or savings to qualify. Consult with an immigration expert to understand this requirement thoroughly.
To extend a spouse visa after 2.5 years, you will need to show that you or your UK partner still meet the spouse visa financial requirement for an extension. You can rely on a combined income of at least £18,600.
If you have a child, the minimum requirement increases to £22,400, with an additional £2,400 for each additional child. A ‘child’ is classed as someone under the age of 18 who is dependant on you or your partner.
Relationship requirement to extend spouse visa after 2.5 years
To obtain a spouse visa extension after 2.5 years, you need to prove to the Home Office that you are still in a genuine and subsisting relationship with your UK partner. Your relationship must be genuine and ongoing and able to prove that you lived in the UK with your partner during your initial 2.5 years of spouse visa.
You will need to submit documents in your name and on your partner’s name showing your cohabitation together for 2 years. You can provide tenancy agreements, council tax letters, utility bills, and bank statements to show that you live together with your UK partner.
Spouse visa extension English test
When applying for a spouse visa extension after 2.5 years, you need to pass the A2 English language test. You can seek exemptions from English language test if you are:
- A national of an English-speaking country
- Someone who holds a degree or higher qualification from an institution recognised by UK NARIC which was taught /researched in English
- A person aged under 18 or over 65
- Someone with a long-term physical or mental condition
You will need to attend a biometric appointment as part of the application process. This appointment involves providing your fingerprints and photographs.
Once you’ve submitted your application, there is a waiting period during which the UK Home Office will process your case. It’s essential to monitor your application’s progress online.
Good character requirement for spouse visa renewal
To renew your spouse visa after 2.5 years, the Home Office needs to ensure that you meet the good character requirement and there are no reasons to refuse your application based on your immigration history.
What Supporting Documents Will I Need for Spouse / Civil Partnership Visa Extension?
UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) officials may want to see the following (non-exhaustive) list of documents included with your application:
- Your current passport
- Your marriage or civil partnership certificate
- Evidence that you and your spouse have been living together continuously in the UK since you were last granted the spouse visa entry clearance
- Your National Insurance number (if you have one)
- Details of your accommodation in the UK
- Bank statements and details of salary showing you or your sponsor can meet the minimum income threshold
- Your sponsor’s British passport or Indefinite Leave to remain documents
- English language certificate
You can book an appointment with our spouse visa lawyers to apply spouse visa extension after 2.5 years.
What is the spouse visa extension fee?
The spouse visa extension fee is £1048. Other costs include a Health Surcharge: of £624 per person per year (£470 per year for those under 18).
How do I apply for a UK spouse visa extension?
You should apply online for your spouse visa extension before your current UK spouse visa expires. However, you must meet all the requirements to extend your spouse visa after 2.5 years.
As part of the application process, you will be required to provide details of your spouse or partner, including the nature of your relationship with them.
How long does a spouse visa extension take?
To renew a Spouse Visa takes up to 6 months to process. If you need a faster decision when extending a spouse visa, you may be able to pay an extra £800 to use the super priority service for a decision by the end of the next working day or £500 to use the priority service for a decision within 5 working days.
Can I travel while my spouse visa extension application is pending?
No. If you leave the Common Travel Area, which includes the UK, Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands, and the Isle of Man, when your application is pending, your application will be treated as withdrawn.
Why Choose Deluxe Law Chambers To Extend Your Spouse Visa Application?
Choosing the right and best immigration lawyer for your immigration needs can be stressful. While it could seem like a difficult choice, let us simplify things for you. Here are a few good reasons why you should choose Deluxe Law Chambers to assist you with your UK visas and immigration matters.
Our commitment to affordability means that you can receive expert advice without straining your finances. Our success hinges on transparency. We believe in keeping you informed about every step of the process, ensuring that you understand your options and the potential outcomes.
- REGULATED – We are regulated and approved immigration lawyers by The Office Of The Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC).
- EXPERIENCE – Our firm rests on specialist immigration lawyers and solicitors with years of experience. Our well-earned experience distinguishes us from others.
- EXPERTISE – As your immigration lawyer, we offer unparalleled expertise. We don’t just understand and interpret the law, we keep an eye on the slightest changes.
- AUTHORITY – Our authority isn’t just about legal powers but is gained through genuine care and successful outcomes for our clientele. So, why choose just a lawyer when you can choose a trusted authority?
- TRUST – Our commitment to uphold your trust is unwavering. Our transparency and ethical conduct are treatments for the trust placed in us by our clients.
- DIRECT ACCESS – At Deluxe Law Chambers as your immigration lawyers, you will have direct access to your qualified lawyer 24/7.
- AFFORDABLE – We are a law firm with an affordable and fixed fee plan. We offer two installments to ensure you can pay easily.
A combination of our rich experience, deep-rooted expertise, trust authority, and unwavering commitment to our clients makes us your best choice.
So, why wait? Take your first step towards a successful immigration application with us.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do I need to extend my spouse visa?
The answer is YES, if you are planning to stay longer than your initial spouse visa for 2.5 years, you will need to extend your spouse visa.
How long does it take to process a spouse visa extension?
The processing time for a spouse visa extension can vary, but it typically takes several weeks. It’s essential to apply well in advance of your current visa’s expiration date to avoid any issues.
What are the financial requirements for a spouse visa extension after 2.5 years?
To meet the financial requirements for a spouse visa extension, you must demonstrate that you can support yourself and any dependents without relying on public funds. This usually involves providing bank statements and other financial documentation.
Can I work while my spouse visa extension application is being processed?
Yes, in most cases, you can work in the UK while your spouse visa extension application is being processed. However, it’s essential to check the specific conditions of your visa and follow the guidelines provided by the Home Office.
What happens if my spouse visa extension application is rejected?
If your spouse visa extension application is rejected, you may have the option to appeal the decision. It’s crucial to seek legal advice from immigration experts like Deluxe Law Chambers to understand your options and take appropriate action.
How can I contact Deluxe Law Chambers for assistance with my spouse visa extension?
You can contact Deluxe Law Chambers by visiting our website or calling our dedicated helpline on 01614644140. Our team of immigration experts is ready to assist you with your spouse visa extension needs.