Visit visa Extension (How & When)
Are you seeking to extend your visit visa? Our comprehensive guide on Visit Visa Extension will provide you with all the information you need, ensuring a smooth and hassle-free process.
You may be able to extend your stay if you have permission to be in the UK for less than 6 months. You can extend your stay up to a total of 6 months. The goal of this guidance is to provide comprehensive information and guidance on extending visit visas for international travellers.
Extending UK Visit Visa: What’s this all about?
You can only apply to stay in the UK for longer than 6 months if you’re:
- a patient receiving medical treatment
- an academic and you still meet the eligibility requirements
- a graduate retaking the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test or doing a clinical attachment
What is a Visit Visa Extension?
A visit visa extension allows you to extend your stay in the UK beyond the initially granted period. It’s a legal process to prolong your visit without breaching immigration rules.
The Importance of Proper Documentation
Documentation plays a vital role in obtaining a visit visa extension. Ensure you have the following documents ready:
- Proof of funds
- Travel itinerary
- Visa extension application form
- Any supporting documents (medical certificates, invitation letters, etc.)
It costs £1000 to extend your stay as a Standard Visitor.
If you have permission to be in the UK for less than 6 months
You may be able to extend your stay as long as the total time you spend in the UK is no more than 6 months. You must meet the eligibility requirements and pay the £1000 fee.
For example, if you have been in the UK for 3 months, you can apply to extend your stay for 3 more months. This applies if you needed a visa to visit the UK and also if you did not need one.
If you need to stay longer for medical treatment
If you’re already in the UK, you can apply to stay for a further 6 months if you:
- have paid for any treatment you’ve already had in the UK
- can and will pay the further costs of your treatment
- continue to meet the medical treatment eligibility requirements
There is no limit on how many times you can extend your stay. It costs £1000 each time you extend.
If you need to stay longer as an academic
If you’re already in the UK and have permission to visit for less than 12 months, you can apply to stay for up to 12 months in total.
Your partner and children can apply to stay for up to 12 months too. They must have their own application and each pay the £1000 fee.
You must prove you:
- are highly qualified in your field of expertise, for example you have a PhD or higher
- were working in that field of expertise at an academic institution overseas prior to your arrival in the UK
- are not filling a permanent teaching post
If you’re an academic, but not a senior doctor or dentist, you must also prove you’re visiting to do research or a formal exchange.
If you’re a senior doctor or dentist, you must also prove you’re visiting to do research, clinical practice, a formal exchange or to teach.
If you need to stay longer to retake the PLAB test
If you’re already in the UK, you can apply to extend your stay for up to 6 months to retake the PLAB test.
You must provide written confirmation from the General Medical Council that you’re retaking the test.
If you want to do a clinical attachment or dental observer post
If you pass the PLAB test, you can apply to stay longer to do an unpaid clinical attachment or dental observer post.
You can stay in the UK for up to 18 months in total.
You must provide written confirmation:
- of your clinical attachment offer
- that you’ve not done a clinical attachment in the UK before
Why choose Deluxe Law Chambers?
Choosing the right and best immigration lawyer for your immigration needs can be stressful. While it could seem like a difficult choice, let us simplify things for you. Here are a few good reasons why you should choose Deluxe Law Chambers to assist you with your UK visas and immigration matters.
Our commitment to affordability means that you can receive expert advice without straining your finances. Our success hinges on transparency. We believe in keeping you informed about every step of the process, ensuring that you understand your options and the potential outcomes.
- REGULATED – We are regulated and approved immigration lawyers by The Office Of The Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC).
- EXPERIENCE – Our firm rests on specialist immigration lawyers and solicitors with years of experience. Our well-earned experience distinguishes us from others.
- EXPERTISE – As your immigration lawyer, we offer unparalleled expertise. We don’t just understand and interpret the law, we keep an eye on the slightest changes.
- AUTHORITY – Our authority isn’t just about legal powers but is gained through genuine care and successful outcomes for our clientele. So, why choose just a lawyer when you can choose a trusted authority?
- TRUST – Our commitment to uphold your trust is unwavering. Our transparency and ethical conduct are treatments for the trust placed in us by our clients.
- DIRECT ACCESS – At Deluxe Law Chambers as your immigration lawyers, you will have direct access to your qualified lawyer 24/7.
- AFFORDABLE – We are a law firm with an affordable and fixed fee plan. We offer two installments to ensure you can pay easily.
A combination of our rich experience, deep-rooted expertise, trust authority, and unwavering commitment to our clients makes us your best choice.
So, why wait? Take your first step towards a successful immigration application with us.