UK Private Life Visa Applications 2023
Apply for private life visa applications under Appendix Private Life of the immigration rules. You can apply for indefinite leave to remain or limited leave to remain.
What is the UK private life visa?
The UK private life visa provides an opportunity to those who have established family and private life in the UK. The right to family and private life originates from Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) and the Human Rights Act of 1998.
You can apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) or limited leave to remain based on your family and private life in the UK.
A child born in the UK who has lived in the UK for 7 years continuously can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) instead of limited leave to remain.
How can I apply for private life visa applications?
The private life visa applications allow people to remain in the UK after establishing a private and family life. The private life route is one of the categories under the UK’s family immigration programme, and applications for this category are made in accordance with Article 8 of the ECHR1.
To qualify for a visa under UK private life applications depends on the time an individual lived in the UK. Our experienced immigration lawyers can help you to apply for a private life visa if:
- You are under the age of 18 and have lived in the UK continuously for at least 7 years and it is unreasonable to expect you to leave the UK.
- You were born in the UK to someone who has (or is applying for) permission to live in the UK for personal reasons.
- You are between the ages of 18 and 25 and have lived in the UK continuously for more than half your life, or
- You have been in the UK for a continuous period of 20 years and you have no family and private life with your country of nationality.
Lawyers for private life visa applications
We are OISC-regulated immigration lawyers and we can help you with your private life visa applications within the UK. We can help you with a fixed fee to deal with your immigration matter.
Deluxe Law Chambers solely specialises in UK visas & immigration and therefore we provide high-quality UK visa and immigration services to our clients. The quality service provided by our UK immigration lawyers is self-evident from our 5-star Google Reviews.
What is article 8 of the european convention on human rights (ECHR)
Private life, as enshrined in Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR), is a general right that is applied to cases in an individual way. It states:
- 8(1) Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home, and his correspondence.
- 8(2) There shall be no interference by a public authority with the exercise of this right except such as is in accordance with the law and is necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, public safety, or the economic well-being of the country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.
Article 8 ECHR is a qualified right so as to allow countries to set requirements which properly balance the individual right to respect for private or family life with the public interest in safeguarding the economic well-being of the UK by controlling immigration, in protecting the public from foreign criminals and in protecting the rights and freedoms of others.
Concession for granting longer periods of leave and early indefinite leave to remain
In October 2021 a concession was introduced to grant young adults longer periods of leave and early indefinite leave to remain on the basis of private life. This concession allowed a person who had arrived in the UK as a child to qualify for settlement after 5 years if they had been granted leave on private life or family grounds and had completed 5 years after the age of 18 with such leave. This concession ended when it was incorporated into the Immigration Rules on 20 June 2022 along with the other changes set out in the Background section.
Private life visa applications for children and young adults
The private life route is for a person looking to stay in the UK because they have spent a significant period of time in the UK and built a private and family life. Private life can be established by a person who has spent time in the UK with or without lawful permission and whilst it is normally a 10-year route to settlement, there are justifiable exceptions.
The private life rules allow children and certain young people (who arrived in the UK as children) who qualify for permission to stay on the basis of their private life to settle in the UK after 5 years with permission. The relevant cohorts are:
- children who have been continuously resident in the UK for 7 years and it would not be reasonable for them to leave
- a young adult (aged between 18 and under 25) who arrived in the UK as a child and has spent at least half their life in the UK.
Children and young people have a choice on the duration of their permission and can choose to be granted for either 30 or 60 months. Adults granted permission to stay under the private life rules can settle after 10 years continuous residence and permission will be granted for 30 months.
Why choose us for your private life visa applications?
Choosing the right and best immigration lawyer for your immigration needs can be stressful. While it could seem like a difficult choice, let us simplify things for you. Here are a few good reasons why you should choose Deluxe Law Chambers to assist you with your UK visas and immigration matters.
Our commitment to affordability means that you can receive expert advice without straining your finances. Our success hinges on transparency. We believe in keeping you informed about every step of the process, ensuring that you understand your options and the potential outcomes.
- REGULATED – We are regulated and approved immigration lawyers by The Office Of The Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC).
- EXPERIENCE – Our firm rests on specialist immigration lawyers and solicitors with years of experience. Our well-earned experience distinguishes us from others.
- EXPERTISE – As your immigration lawyer, we offer unparalleled expertise. We don’t just understand and interpret the law, we keep an eye on the slightest changes.
- AUTHORITY – Our authority isn’t just about legal powers but is gained through genuine care and successful outcomes for our clientele. So, why choose just a lawyer when you can choose a trusted authority?
- TRUST – Our commitment to uphold your trust is unwavering. Our transparency and ethical conduct are treatments for the trust placed in us by our clients.
- DIRECT ACCESS – At Deluxe Law Chambers as your immigration lawyers, you will have direct access to your qualified lawyer 24/7.
- AFFORDABLE – We are a law firm with an affordable and fixed fee plan. We offer two installments to ensure you can pay easily.
A combination of our rich experience, deep-rooted expertise, trust authority, and unwavering commitment to our clients makes us your best choice.
So, why wait? Take your first step towards a successful immigration application with us.
Frequently asked questions for private life visa applications
What are the required documents for a private life visa application?
The documents you need may vary depending on the nature of your grounds to stay in the UK. However, you must submit the evidence that you have an established private and family life in the UK.
How long can you stay in the UK under the Private Life Visa route?
Private Life visas are normally granted for 30 months (2.5 years). If, however, you are under 18 and have lived in the UK continuously for at least 7 years, or you are aged between 18 and 24 and have spent half your life in the UK, you can apply for a 5-year visa – in this scenario, you can also settle after 5 years.
Can Private Life Visa applications be made from outside the UK?
No, Private Life Visa applications must be submitted while you are physically present in the UK.
How can an immigration law firm assist with the Private Life Visa application?
An experienced immigration lawyers can enhances the chances of success in your private life visa application by making strong and detailed legal representations.