British Citizenship By Marriage After 3 Years
To apply for British citizenship by marriage, you must have lived in the UK for at least three years before the date of your application.
If you are married to a British citizen, you can get British Citizenship by Marriage after 3 years. Our experienced immigration lawyers can help you to apply for UK citizenship through marriage if you are married to a British citizen.
Deluxe Law Chambers solely specialise in UK visas & immigration and therefore we provide high quality UK visa and immigration services for British citizenship application through marriage. The quality service provided by our immigration lawyers is self-evident from our 5-star Google Reviews.
How do I get British citizenship by marriage?
You can apply for British citizenship as soon as you have Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) or “Settled Status” in the UK. You do not need to wait for 12 months after ILR.
Once you are a naturalised as a British citizen, you will be able to live and work in the UK free from immigration controls.
In this guide, we explain the requirements and application to process to make an application for British citizenship by marriage.
To qualify for UK nationality, you must also meet all of the requirements for British Citizenship through marriage.
Who can apply for British citizenship by marriage?
Anybody who is married to a British citizen and meets the following requirements can apply for British citizenship through marriage:
- is over the age of 18
- has ILR in the UK
- has lived in the UK for 3 years
- is a person of good character
Apply for British citizen after 3 years of marriage
You can apply for British citizenship through marriage after three years of living in the UK as a spouse of a British citizen, if you meet all the eligibility requirements.
Eligibility requirements for UK citizenship through marriage
To apply for UK citizenship through marriage, you must meet the following requirements:
- Age: You must be at least 18 years old to apply for British citizenship.
- Residency: You must have lived in the UK for at least 3 years before the date of your application and have held Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) or settled status in the UK.
- Marriage: You must be married to a British citizen.
- Language requirements: You must demonstrate your knowledge of the English language. You can meet this requirement by passing an approved English language test, having an academic qualification taught in English, or being a national of a majority English-speaking country.
- Knowledge of life in the UK: You must pass the Life in the UK test.
- Good character: You must be of good character, which means that you must not have a serious or recent criminal record, and your conduct must not raise any public concern.
You will need to provide evidence of your identity, residence in the UK, and any criminal record, as well as pay the required application fee.
Residence requirement for british citizenship through marriage
To qualify for British citizenship as a spouse of a British citizen, you must have lived in the UK for three years before you submit your application.
You are also required to meet the residency condition. In other words, you must not have:
- Spent more than 270 days outside the UK during the three-year qualifying period before your application
- Spent more than 90 days abroad in the last 12 months before you submit your forms
- Broken any UK immigration law at any time during your residency in the UK.
Documents required for british citizenship by marriage
To apply for British citizenship by marriage, you will need to provide the following documents:
- Your identity documents and travel documents.
- Evidence of your residence in the UK for the 3 years.
- Evidence that you meet the English language requirement.
- You will need to provide the Life in the UK test certificate.
- Copy of your marriage certificate.
- Copy of your spouse’s British passport.
- Copy of your indefinite leave to remain.
- Referees declaration.
How much does it cost to apply for British citizenship as a spouse?
It costs £1,300 to apply for British citizenship by marriage.
What is the processing time of British citizenship by marriage?
Home Office can take up to six months to decide your British citizenship application through marriage.
Immigration lawyers fees for british citizenship
Our UK nationality lawyer charges a fixed fee between £700-£1000 for our complete legal services in relation to your citizenship application.
Why choose our lawyers for your British citizenship application?
Choosing the right and best immigration lawyer for your immigration needs can be stressful. While it could seem like a difficult choice, let us simplify things for you. Here are a few good reasons why you should choose Deluxe Law Chambers to assist you with your UK visas and immigration matters.
Our commitment to affordability means that you can receive expert advice without straining your finances. Our success hinges on transparency. We believe in keeping you informed about every step of the process, ensuring that you understand your options and the potential outcomes.
- REGULATED – We are regulated and approved immigration lawyers by The Office Of The Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC).
- EXPERIENCE – Our firm rests on specialist immigration lawyers and solicitors with years of experience. Our well-earned experience distinguishes us from others.
- EXPERTISE – As your immigration lawyer, we offer unparalleled expertise. We don’t just understand and interpret the law, we keep an eye on the slightest changes.
- AUTHORITY – Our authority isn’t just about legal powers but is gained through genuine care and successful outcomes for our clientele. So, why choose just a lawyer when you can choose a trusted authority?
- TRUST – Our commitment to uphold your trust is unwavering. Our transparency and ethical conduct are treatments for the trust placed in us by our clients.
- DIRECT ACCESS – At Deluxe Law Chambers as your immigration lawyers, you will have direct access to your qualified lawyer 24/7.
- AFFORDABLE – We are a law firm with an affordable and fixed fee plan. We offer two installments to ensure you can pay easily.
A combination of our rich experience, deep-rooted expertise, trust authority, and unwavering commitment to our clients makes us your best choice.
So, why wait? Take your first step towards a successful immigration application with us.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
Am I eligible for British Citizenship by marriage?
You must meet the eligibility requirements under (section 6(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981) to apply for British citizenship through marriage with a British citizen.
How do I start the British Citizenship by marriage process?
You need to be married to a British citizen, have ILR and meet other eligibility requirements to start your British citizenship application process.
How long does it take to become a British citizen through marriage?
You must have lived 3 years in the UK before making an application for British citizenship through marriage.
Does England give citizenship by marriage?
Yes, you can apply for British citizenship if you are married to a UK national.
Can I apply for ILR after 3 years of marriage?
No, you must have lived 5 years on a spouse visa to apply for ILR.
What rights do I have if I marry a British citizen?
You have to apply to become a British citizen by marriage; citizenship is not conferred automatically through marriage.