British Citizenship Documents Checklist 2023
This guide will explain British citizenship documents checklist you need to apply for Naturalisation as a British citizen in 2023.
Applying for British citizenship can be a lengthy and complicated process. Our experienced team of immigration lawyers for British citizenship can guide you regarding British citizenship documents checklist. It is important to provide evidence and required documents to prove your eligibility for British citizenship.
If you require Immigration Advice Services or help with an British citizenship application, please contact +441614644140 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for fast, professional, and affordable immigration advice from our highly experienced UK immigration lawyers. You can book an appointment online for detailed immigration consultation.
Documents Required for British Citizenship?
It is vital to prove all the supporting documents for your eligibility of British citizenship application.
If you want to apply for British citizenship, you will need to provide the Home Office with certain information and documents.
In this blog post, we take a closer look at the required documents for British citizenship.
Understanding the Necessary Paperwork: British Citizenship Documents Checklist
Before you apply for citizenship, it’s worth preparing what you’ll need.
When you apply for citizenship through naturalisation, you’ll need to:
- prove how long you’ve lived in the UK
- pass the Life in the UK Test
- prove you understand English
- check you’re of ‘good character’ – this means showing you haven’t recently broken the law or gone bankrupt
- give the names of 2 people who can help prove your identity – these are called ‘referees’
What documents are required for British citizenship?
When you apply for British citizenship, you will need to provide a number of documents to prove your eligibility for citizenship. You will need to provide information concerning your identity, knowledge of English language (unless exempt), your residency in the UK and your Life in the UK test.
Documents checklist for British Citizenship
- Proof of identity and travel: Your passport, BRP card, travel document, driving licence and your ID card
- Proof of marital status: Your marriage certificate
- Proof of life in the UK test (certificate of the unique reference number)
- Proof of English language test at least a level of B1 in English language in speaking, writing, listening and reading (unless you are exempt)
- Evidence that you meet the residence requirement for British citizenship
- Information of your travel history
- Information of your employment history in the past 10 years or since you started living in the UK
- Proof that you have ILR and you are free from immigration control
All the documents must be in English.
Requirement to have been in the UK on the first day of the qualifying period
If you are applying under section 6(1), you must have been in the UK exactly 5 years before your application was received. For example, if your application is received on 05/01/2022 you should have been physically present in the UK on 06/01/2017.
If you are applying under section 6(2), as the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen, you must have been in the UK exactly 3 years before your application was received. For example, if your application is received on 05/05/2021, you should have been physically present in the UK on 06/05/2018.
how much it costs to apply
You usually pay £1,330 to apply for adult citizenship or £1,012 for children. If you’re applying for citizenship as an adult you’ll also have to pay:
- £50 to do the Life in the UK Test
- around £150 if you have to do an English test
You will not get most of your money back if your application is refused – for example, if you’re not eligible or you sent the wrong documents.
Absences requirement for british Citizenship
Overall absences in your qualifying period – If you are applying under the 5-year route (section 6(1)), you should not have been absent for more than 450 days. If you are applying under the 3-year route (section 6(2)), you should not have been absent from the UK for more than 270 days.
Pass the Life in the UK Test
You need to pass the Life in the UK Test before you apply for citizenship. The test asks questions about UK laws and the legal system, working and other details of life in the UK.
You can do the test any time before you apply.
You will satisfy the life in the UK requirement if you have passed the Life in the UK test. When completing the application form, you will be asked to provide the reference number on your pass certificate. You do not normally need to send the certificate to us.
Why choose Deluxe law chambers for British Citizenship Documents Checklist?
Choosing the right and best immigration lawyer for your immigration needs can be stressful. While it could seem like a difficult choice, let us simplify things for you. Here are a few good reasons why you should choose Deluxe Law Chambers to assist you with your UK visas and immigration matters.
Our commitment to affordability means that you can receive expert advice without straining your finances. Our success hinges on transparency. We believe in keeping you informed about every step of the process, ensuring that you understand your options and the potential outcomes.
- REGULATED – We are regulated and approved immigration lawyers by The Office Of The Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC).
- EXPERIENCE – Our firm rests on specialist immigration lawyers and solicitors with years of experience. Our well-earned experience distinguishes us from others.
- EXPERTISE – As your immigration lawyer, we offer unparalleled expertise. We don’t just understand and interpret the law, we keep an eye on the slightest changes.
- AUTHORITY – Our authority isn’t just about legal powers but is gained through genuine care and successful outcomes for our clientele. So, why choose just a lawyer when you can choose a trusted authority?
- TRUST – Our commitment to uphold your trust is unwavering. Our transparency and ethical conduct are treatments for the trust placed in us by our clients.
- DIRECT ACCESS – At Deluxe Law Chambers as your immigration lawyers, you will have direct access to your qualified lawyer 24/7.
- AFFORDABLE – We are a law firm with an affordable and fixed fee plan. We offer two installments to ensure you can pay easily.
A combination of our rich experience, deep-rooted expertise, trust authority, and unwavering commitment to our clients makes us your best choice.
So, why wait? Take your first step towards a successful immigration application with us.
Frequently Asked questions (FAQs)
What documents are required for a British citizenship application?
You will need to submit your passport, proof of residence, English language test results, evidence of knowledge about the UK, and proof of good character.
Can I submit a birth certificate as proof of identity?
No, a birth certificate is not accepted as proof of identity. You must provide a valid passport or travel document.
Is it necessary to have a permanent residence card?
Yes, you must have a permanent residence card or a document certifying permanent residence to apply for British citizenship.
How can an immigration law firm assist with the Private Life Visa application?
An experienced immigration lawyers can enhances the chances of success in your private life visa application by making strong and detailed legal representations.